A strong Block Captain network has always been one of our best crime-fighting and community building tools.The goal of the block captain network is to foster neighbor-to-neighbor communication about crime events and other important neighborhood concerns in Windsor Square.
How it works:
- Residents of a block give their contact information to their block captain who maintains a list of everyone on the block.The primary form of communication is email.
- Residents alert their block captain via email of crime events or concerns. The block captain forwards this information to the WSA Block Captain Chair. The WSA chair uses this information to create crime alerts that are emailed to block captains who then forward it to everyone on their block. NOTE: Any incident of crime or suspicious activity should be reported to the LAPD!
- The WSA chair is in touch with our Senior Lead Officers at LAPD and aims to create fact based alerts based on information from the resident, block captain, LAPD and security companies.
All Windsor Square residents play an important role in our block captain network!
- Know your block captain
Make sure they have your current contact information. Stay in touch with them about any crime event you experience or to share concerns about your street. They can provide you with a block roster list so you can stay in touch with your neighbors.
- Get to know other residents on your block
This is our most valuable tool for both crime prevention and emergency preparedness. Many blocks gather in person or via zoom once a year. The block captain often organizes this event but collaboration is a great way to make it easy on everyone.
- Consider volunteering to be a block captain
Many of our blocks still need a block captain. Responsibilities include maintaining a block roster, forwarding emails, welcoming new residents and fostering a strong block community. It is a manageable job with some tools in place to make it easy and optional zoom gatherings to connect with other block captains.
Block Captains are an essential part of the Windsor Square Association and we celebrate their contribution annually with our Block Captain Dinner.
Not sure who your Block Captain is? Have questions about getting involved?
Email Angie Szentgyorgyi at email@example.com.